Seal of Hanover Township
2202 Grove Road / Allentown, Pa 18109 / 610-264-1069

Zoning FAQs

Hanover Township Am I Allowed to Burn In Hanover Township?
Open burning is not permitted.

What can I do about nuisance animals (fox, raccoons, skunks, etc.)?
Our Public Works Department does not respond to nuisance animals. Please contact an animal control company for assistance.

I’m renting or buying an existing dwelling, does the Township perform inspections?
No, the Township only performs inspections of new residential & commercial structures, additions or alterations.

I’ve heard the term “occupancy permit”, when would I need one of them?
Occupancy permits are issued for new residential or commercial structures, additions or alterations as well as home based and commercial businesses.

What do I need to get a zoning / building permit for?
A general list includes: changes in use, tree removal, fences, retaining & decorative walls, decks, patios, sheds, pools, hot tubs, additions, alterations, new roof, driveway enlargements and resurfacing, excavation within the public right of way, modifications or repairs to on lot sewage systems.

I want to enlarge, overlay or alter my driveway (including installation of driveway posts or pillars), do I need a permit?
Yes, you will need a Road Encroachment / Driveway permit.

What is the setback for a shed?
Setbacks are generally 5’ from the side or rear property line. Setback requirements may vary depending on zoning district and size or use of structure. Contact the Zoning Officer to find out your setbacks.

What guidelines must I follow for fence installations?
Fences must be set back 1’ from a side or rear property line (note: they may be placed on a property line with written permission from adjoining property owner) and may be no greater than 6 feet in height. Fences in the front yard are limited to 4 feet in height. Fences are not permitted within a street right of way or other public right of way or easement and may not interfere with the flow of stormwater.

Does the Township have a weed ordinance?
Yes, weeds may be no taller than 12 inches for a width of 25 feet from your property line. Intersections must be kept free and clear of obstructions as well.

How long does it take to process a zoning/building permit?
Typically a permit that does not involve review and approval under the Uniform Construction Code takes approximately 7 to 10 days to process.

I would like to place temporary signage to alert potential customers to a grand opening or promotion, do I need a permit?
Yes, you are required to obtain a permit for temporary signage. Up to four permits for 30 days (120 days total) are permitted per year.

Hanover Township
© 2019 Hanover Township, 2202 Grove Road / Allentown, Pa 18109 / 610-264-1069